"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

an evening with Pablo...

Ah, sorry, but not Pablo Casals. I mean Pablo the Parrot, and, no, he can't play the cello, but he can be a very entertaining companion nevertheless. Koa the giant dog went home to her family-returned-from-vacation yesterday, and Pablo is enjoying the freedom he is used to when it is just the two of us.

You're welcome to join us, but please sit still and don't speak. It's best if you don't let him know you're there. If you see red flecks start to show in those orange irises, and the pupils constrict to pinpoints, I suggest you leave--quickly!

Pablo sat on my leg this evening while I watched the news on TV. I fed him grapefruit juice from a spoon. Usually he likes to hold the spoon himself, but I insisted on spoon control, because that juice is sticky.


Then it was time to wipe his beak with a paper towel. He bites the paper to clean the inside of his beak. Paper towels are one of his favorite things to rend.
Beak all cleaned and ready, we had a little sparring match. This is another favorite pastime.
I let him win...
The winner's reward is a good head-scratching...



Time out for a little chin scratch...
Some more head scratching...



And then a quick nap, complete with cooing, giggling and quiet laughs...



Say "goodnight", Pablo....
I'm spending a lot of time with Pablo, because Saturday I'll be leaving him with a parrot-sitter for about six weeks. I'll be in Halibut Cove, house-lodge-and-cat-sitting for friends.


















No comments:

Post a Comment