"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Grand Canyon Journals, Chapter Nine: Upper Canyon

Leaving the dog was horrible. (See Chapter 8 post) I looked down at the floorboards of the van until I was sure the dog couldn't be seen anymore.

We were headed farther north, to Glen Canyon dam. This is the dam that turned the mighty Rio Colorado to green. Or muddy brown at certain times. Now all the red silt backs up behind the dam.



Then, we started back towards Marble Canyon, but first we stopped at Horseshoe Bend on the Colorado River. This is where the Colorado flows gently through the cut rock of the upper Grand Canyon.



This is why it's called Horseshoe Bend.




This is a good place to "be." Quiet, peaceful..a place to be alone with one's thoughts. Just like our guide Joanna is here. This is my favorite photo of her.


Later that afternoon, I took this photo of the Vermillion Cliffs as I walked to Marble Canyon Lodge for another delicious home-cooked meal.



Then, across the highway in the old lodge, Joanna sang for us and recited poetry.


This flower, the name of which I can never remember but I think it has a "d" in it, blooms at night. The very edges of the petals are kissed with lavender.



Then, back to my cozy room. The next day would be our last hike in the Marble Canyon area. We'd be heading to the South Rim of the Canyon, back with all the tourists.



2 comments:

  1. Dog gone it. I think I pushed the wrong button again and erased my earlier comment. It was really good, too!! :) Actually it had to do with the gone dog, and how tough that would have been, even if he did go straight home after you left. The photo of Joanna is truly wonderful, as is the one of Horseshoe Bend.

    ReplyDelete