"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Monday, May 14, 2012

If Mother Ain't Happy...

You know the saying, "If mother ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"?  Apply that to Mother Nature and you'll have an idea of what's going on in my part  of Alaska.

Yesterday, Mother's Day, I was happy engaged in a favorite activity along a favorite part of the Seward Highway.  Mile 50--wide grassy slopes on each side of the highway, a good place to be with Sunday traffic and all.

A bit chilly, a bit breezy, and I knew what to expect.  Just as I reached my most favorite part and the widest grassy slope, MN started with  the snow thing again.  No biggie, I figured, it won't stick and it won't last long.

The white things aren't rocks.  It's snow.

Moments after I took the photo, it snowed harder with larger flakes.  It stuck on the ground.   It stuck on me.  Did I quit?

Absolutely not.  I'd worked my way to this area after lots of alder-bashing in the far reaches of the above photo and I wasn't about to let a little snow mess with me.  I gathered up all the litter I could see, wondering what the passing drivers thought about the nutso with the orange safety vest trying to find litter in a heavy snow.

Too funny, and I was laughing out loud at the absurdity of the whole thing. 

Sure enough, as the sun tried to burn through the overcast, the snow ceased and what was on the ground and me melted.  By this time, I was on the other side of the highway.

And look what I found:




Flowers for Mother's Day.  The first wild flowers of the season. 

Wait.  Just what IS the season anyway?  And what's up with Mother Nature?  After record snowfalls this winter, she's stuck in a groove, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment