"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Kenya Journals, Ch. 1: Is there anything more fun than getting there? Or not?










All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.—Martin Buber




Chapter One
Is there anything more fun than getting there?   Or not?



As the fellow said, “getting there is half the fun.”   That’s a premise I ascribe to wholeheartedly.  Unless it is essential that I be in Frankfurt, Germany, to catch a flight to Kenya at 11 A.M. on Feb. 5, and I am facing being stranded in the Keflavik airport in Reykjavik, Iceland, or—worse, yet—on a plane to Paris.



Both of which might have happened had a gate agent not been very alert and Iceland Air not been so accommodating by waiting for ticketed passengers.



I blame the confusion of the Keflavik terminal for my confusion. 



But, let’s begin at the beginning, start at the onset, if you will.   Pass GO, and be sure to collect your $200 because you’ll need it on Iceland Air.
 








When I booked my tickets from Anchorage to Kenya, I started with Alaska Airlines to Seattle.   AkAir is a partner airline with Iceland Air and I decided that flying through Iceland would be a kick.   Most airlines that fly from the northern US have routes that overfly Iceland on their way to Europe, so why not have a short break, change planes, and go on to Frankfurt where I will meet three of the five people who would be my companions for the next two-plus weeks?   The flying time, about ten hours, is roughly the same, and I’d be able to see if my legs still worked after the first seven hours.



So, I’m in Seattle, ready to board Iceland Air.   There’s an guy ahead of me talking on his phone, and slowing down the whole line.   He talks all the way through the gate, down the jetway, into the plane, down the aisle—and turns out to be my seatmate, where he continues to talk about some family troubles.   Also turns out that he used to teach in Kenya.
 

As I board at 3:30 in the afternoon Seattle time, I am handed a bottle of Icelandic glacial water.   The label claims it was bottled at the source, which is Olfus Spring, Iceland. 
 



The blanket.
Somewhat defor,med by air pressure.





I am very surprised that the flight is full.   How many people go to Iceland in the winter, anyway?   Turns out, many people had the same idea that I had.   Often, using Iceland as a way-spot to another destination results in a lower ticket cost.   I used miles and my round-trip Anchorage to Iceland to Frankfurt ticket cost $399, including the $25 booking fee because I went direct to an AkAir agent, what with all the time/day changes.

The lighting above the overhead bag bins is in the varying and moving colors of the Aurora Borealis.  Nice touch.






I pull out the food and beverage menu and read it in its entirety.   Iceland Air has a great copy writer!   The airline does not feed the cattle in steerage class, though the flight is more than seven hours, so some hours into the flight, I order the winter salad and it is scrumptious.   Expensive, but scrumptious.









My salad cost just under $17!  It was wonderful.
















We arrive in Reykjavik at 6:30 A.M. local time, after flying seven hours.   It’s dark.   It’s raining.   We disembark on a jetway and enter a long, wide hallway with a glass wall ahead of us.   All the glass doors are locked and I wonder if they aren’t expecting us.   Ahead of us, another set of glass doors is also locked.

Then someone discovers an opening that leads downstairs.   No escalator, just stairs, so pick up those cute wheelie bags and carry them.    I wander around, make a couple turns, and am directed up an up stairway.   No escalator; carry those darn wheelie bags.  My wheelie bag is heavy as it contains everything I would need should my checked bag go walkabout and not catch up to me.   That’s a good probability because my layover time there is 45 minutes!

Passport Control is at the top of the stairs, and once through that, I wander around some more, ask directions, and come to a hall with gates 34 and 35.   I need 36.  There's waist-high "36" signin the middle of the hallway--at the top of some stairs.

Hordes of people line both sides of the hall.  There are so many people, I can’t see any more gate numbers, so I just join one line.   Turns out, that’s the line for Paris.   The other line is for Amsterdam.

Once I reach the agent checking tickets for Paris, I’m directed to the down staircase in the center. No escalator.   Carry that heavy, wretched wheelie bag down the stairs.

Then, out onto the tarmac in the wind and blowing rain,  a hundred yards to a covered stairway onto the plane.   Pick up the stinkin' wheelie again.    What fun.

Iceland Air, though, has waited for me and the others and off we go for a three-hour flight to Germany with a full airplane. 








4 comments:

  1. I'm tired already....you finish the trip, take the photos, tell the story and I'll sit in my warm comfy home and enjoy your 2+ weeks vicariously. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it. Better yet, how about you fund my next trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salad looks delicious. I'm glad that part of your travels was pleasant. I also love the comment on the blanket. I'd be a wreck over the unexpected and unpleasant happenings. Fortunately, you're a trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today's Rhetorical Question: Will you, on any future flights to Europe and Africa, do the Iceland stopover again? If so will you take your own Porter with you? I can, from my own actual experience, feel the fatigue from lugging bag and baggage up and down stairs. Frankly, were Patti and I traveling together, we would have been sunk. Wind and rain to boot. Good On You for surviving the beginning phase of this trip. What a mess! And the cost of the, albeit very good and fabulous looking, salad. Waiting for future episodes. Patti and Cap ..

    ReplyDelete