"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Corvid Cousins Picnic

Well, the corvid cousins chose the shortest day of the year to have a picnic in my front deck.

I didn't want to interrupt, so I shot these photos through the window.   It didn't help that there were lots of reflections on the glass and that the light was lacking.


The front deck where all the bird feeders are had a new visitor yesterday.    A huge black raven was walking up and down the deck rail, checking out the menu, and scaring the little birds.







Three magpies didn't seem to mind, except that meant less food for them.  They did stay out of the raven's personal space, though.    Looking at that bill with its sharp point, I would too.   In fact, I took these photos through a window (with lots of reflections on it) so I wouldn't scare away this first-time visitor.






Then Attitude showed up for his morning peanuts--unsalted, in the shell.   This Steller's jay was not happy that his corvid cousin was ruining the picnic and probably stealing all the peanuts.







The little birds--the boreal and black-capped chickadees and the red-breasted nuthatches--are afraid of the corvids because corvids eat little birds.   They kept their distance but rushed in to grab a peanut from the green peanut dish attached to the spruce.

There's a black cap directly above the green dish.






At one point, I was able to get a shot of all three corvid species--the common raven, black-billed magpie, and the Steller's jay.    However, the jay was hiding behind a spruce branch and impossible to see.




2 comments:

  1. Needless to say, the birds are not hibernating! Always fun to see the activities even just right outside of your window. Smiles and hugs. Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I put this.. Got it.. I am interested that you, with the array of cameras and lens that you have in your photographic arsenal, that up front in this Post you are just a tad (no big deal I understand that) unhappy with some reflections on the glass and that the light was lacking. With my beloved point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix cameras, I feel this way about 90% of all the photos I shoot. Smiling .. Cap with Patti smiling as well.

    ReplyDelete