"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Friday, June 16, 2023

The Good, the Bad, and the Really Ugly

 I should have written the title of this post in reverse, but I didn't.   So, I'll present the item in reverse, starting with the really ugly.

REALLY UGLY:

Of all the things that concern me while I'm picking up litter along the Seward Highway--bears, moose, inattentive drivers, bad guys--the one thing that that worries me is some jerk dumping fish carcasses.   The smell of these rotting carcasses can attract bears that will fight over them, or worse, surprise me when I'm in the vicinity.

Yesterday I spotted another dump, of cod, I think.   Big fish.   Dumped in a spot where I park to clean up this section of highway.

They stank!  Coughing, gagging, almost barfing stink.   I didn't clean up the fish but I did pick up the white plastic garbage bag.   To my ever-lasting dismay!   Soon I had to tie off and leave a half-full litter bag because the bag stank.   And I could smell it the rest of the day.





THE BAD:


I sat down to enjoy a cup of tea and opened Messenger.   There was an ominous message from Mary, my neighbor who helps clean ump litter along the highway:  "I'll try to get back from Anchorage in time to help you with the disaster at Mile 60."

"Disaster" is Mary-speak for a lot of litter.

Mile 60?   But I'd just cleaned that mile the day before.   What could have happened?

Someone lost part of a load is what happened.   When I got there, a lady from Seward had already gathered the debris into separate piles and needed bags for the smaller stuff.  We worked together until she had to leave.

I finished picking up the smaller stuff--mostly household garbage--then rearranged the piles to make them more attractive to DOT to haul away.   The majority was large plastic bags with handles for lifting with heavy equipment.   Also, cardboard, pieces of a broken pallet, tarps, several bags of household garbage, two pillows, a quilt, and a fishing pole.



Scattered along the curve.

One of three piles.

The three piles.



THE GOOD:


Whenever a vehicle stops by me, I become super aware and cautious, as I did when a truck with camper stopped right where I was yesterday.   The driver motioned me to the passenger window.

I expect things like "where's the nearest gas station, am I on the right road,"   

The driver said, "Hi, I'm Pat from Homer and I've seen you out here working tirelessly for years.   I just want to express my thanks."   And he extended his hand, not to shake mine but to give me this:


This will go to gas as I'm using a tank a week.


7 comments:

  1. Well ! The two of us were totally amazed and thrilled at the ending of this Post .. titled : THE GOOD .. Whew Gullible. How tender and how touching. There really ARE some fine people in this world of ours. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for a fact Gullible that over many years there have been very occasional people who would stop and thank you for what you do EVERY SUMMER, picking up litter along the Seward and Sterling Highways so that Alaskans and visitors could enjoy our beautiful scenery. Pat from Homer really rises to the top! Recognition well deserved when recognition is not why you do what you do. So, for you and your truck, you will have more fuel to carry on!! Smiles and cheers. Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That was a great surprise. It's nice to know my efforts are appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Gullible, It's nice to know folks appreciate the hard work you do for them. Gordy from Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anyway who ever DUMPED all of that trash can be identified by paperwork in the mess? Then they can be fined, or made to clean it up.
    You KNOW they did that on purpose instead of paying to dispose of it at the dump.
    Disgusting!!!
    And, I'm wondering if the other fish cleaning guys/heads/bones were from illegal fishing?
    Thank you, for all you do. πŸŒΈπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't tell from what is there. Just a plastic garbage bag and a plastic drink lid. The ironic thing is, it is recommended that fishermen dispose of carcasses in fast flowing rivers or in the ocean. No need to take to a dump and there are several dumpster-like sites on the Kenai Peninsula. All free. There were garbage bins about four miles from this and a fast river even closer.

      Delete