"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Sunday, November 26, 2023

The 2023 Brazil Journals, Chapter Fifteen


(To see photos full screen, click on one and then scroll through them.)


Chapter Fifteen

The Lost Notes

 

 

We live in a world where losing your phone is more dramatic

than losing your virginity.—Rami

 

 




 

After all the lost time because of the outboard that wouldn’t start, and waiting for the substitute boat, I hate to be the cause of more delay, but I can’t find my cell phone even after searching through my pockets, camera bag, and on the bottom of the boat.


 

So, I say something.   The last time I remember having it was just before we switched boats.  Octavio turns the boat and we head to that point.   I feel awful about causing my friends more lost time on this nice river.

 

We search the river bank, without success.   Suddenly, Virginia cries out that Octavio spotted my phone when I stood up to get out of the boat.


It had slipped off the vest and was hiding in that small space beneath the seat and the crossbar.


Virginia likes to take videos and when I found this video on my phone, I thought it was hilarious that the phone started recording as soon as she picked it up, though she hadn't intentionally started it.






 

 

While I am glad to have it back, I am devastated that I have caused my friends to lose even more time on the river.    No, it wasn't intentional but I feel guilty anyway.

 





Octavio says this Maguari stork is seldom seen in this area and is probably migrating.


I can laugh at my dumb mistakes when they affect only me.   I love to laugh at myself and use those instances to write stories that poke fun at myself.

 

But to inconvenience or ruin things for others?   It plunges me into a funk that lasts the rest of the day and still lingers.  I apologize to all and just stay quiet after that.   

 

I’m usually a quiet person so I hope my friends don’t notice.





We were heading back to the lodge one evening when this peccary ran across the trail in front of our vehicle.   As we waited, another and another and another came out of the forest, though one at a time.



I think we waited until 16 of them came out, then found a pause and headed home to the lodge.


 

Virginia tells me not to worry about it, that she would be in a frenzy if she lost her phone.

 

That night I lie in bed awake, thinking—and not for the first time—whether my age is negatively affecting my friends’ enjoyment of the trips we take.  They are always there to assist me in matters large and small, always seem to be keeping an eye on me and I appreciate that while at the same time I rue that I need assistance.

 

Perhaps it’s time, I think, to put away my passport for good.






Mule tail grass head highlighted by the setting sun.







Sunset with a field of mule tail grass  in front of the trees.



A short photo story of the bare-faced curassow family:

A drama along the Rio Negro:   This family of bare-faced curassow were walking along the river.

 



One of the chicks found something in the grass and picked it up.








It carried it for a while.






Dad came to see what it had.




The two chicks got into a tug-of-war.



Mom checked and, like moms everywhere, took it out of her baby's mouth.






Then she relented and let the chick have it.




 

I think it swallowed whatever it was.







Black skimmers in flight.




Black skimmers





Butterfly






Caiman






Capybara and cow bird.










Unknown insect.






The lighter-colored objects are proboscis bats.   I had a hard time seeing them as I was expecting something much larger.  Note how some of them are lined up in a row, a common behavior.   They average two inches in length and are all disguised against tree bark.






Large-billed tern.







White-winged swallow.




3 comments:

  1. Gullible, join the human race as to your feelings of regret, pain, frustration etc over your lost smartphone and the ensuing delay to your group made me think of these words of wisdom.. "And God Said "Love Your Enemy" and I obeyed God and loved myself". Truer words were never spoken. That mechanism between our ears IS Oft The Enemy. And I thought that I was the World's Worst Self Critic! You mused.. "Perhaps it’s time, I think, to put away my passport for good." Time to put your passport away all because of a lost smartphone may have made some of your friends think to themselves .. "I sure am happy that I didn't lose my smartphone!". Loved the Lost Phone Video!

    Photos 7 - 16 and 21 are favorites. We do hope you are (more or less) over the smartphone adventure Gullible. Cheering you on! Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up your passport. I'm sure your friends love having you along and want to help you enjoy your trips. You enrich their lives with your knowledge of birds and animals, and, I'm sure you enjoy seeing them progress with their photography. Never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you won't give up your passport because of a lost phone. Plenty of people much younger than you have lost them, freaked out and got everyone to search for it. I have had to call my phone, either from another phone or using findmyphone.com on more than one occasion. When I had a landline, that was my main reason for keeping it. Please don't deprive us of your talent! And by the way, if you slow down things a bit, that gives others an opportunity to appreciate the scenery in greater detail. All my life, I have been rushing and in retrospect, wish I would have slowed down to savor the moments. Love the bats and while I am not a fan of crocs and alligators, I find the caiman pretty adorable. Although I wouldn't want to get too close. The baby bird with his treasure was my favorite of these, playing tug of war with his sibling and mom.

    ReplyDelete