"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Busted in Small Town Alaska


 

Chunks of ice are stranded at low tide in Turnagain Arm.

 

Pewter-colored skies, flat light, and occasional raindrops don't make for nice photographs, but I was determined to get out and find something to aim a lens at, knowing that anything I photographed would be surrounded by snow.


Snow, I thought, will cover up a lot of distracting things, historical or not.


Sixmile Creek.



 I wound up in Hope, a very small, former gold-mining town along Turnagain Arm.





 

I drove slowly up and down one-lane roads in residential neighborhoods, looking for subjects and peering into yards.  The roads were in that transitional state from winter to spring, partly snow, water, and ice, and partly gravel showing through.



Though I saw no one, I felt there were eyes on me as I wandered, turning around in driveways, stopping frequently.













I turned onto the main street where a lot of old cabins are located, most dating from the gold rush around the 1900s. 












 

 

I climbed up four- and five-foot rotting snow banks to get more of the cabins in view.   I passed the old post office, the social hall, and a café.








Window detail.


 



The historic museum was buried in snow so I couldn’t get close to several cabins there.

 

 


















One of the many historic markers attached to a fence.


 

As I was leaving town, I pulled over to the side to make sure the cameras were secure in their seat belt. A van pulled up next to me.

 

Here it comes, I thought. A local is going to want to know why I was prowling the town. 

 

A man came around the front of the van as his Australian shepherd, riding shotgun, stared at me.




















 

I rolled down my window, ready with an explanation and an apology.







 

"Are you the one who picks up trash along the highway?" he asked. I nodded, realizing he must have seen  my truck parked along the highway.

 

He smiled and stuck out his hand.

 

"I've been wanting to meet you and say thanks. If you ever need anything when you're in Hope, the lady at the post office knows where I am. Anything at all," he said.




Jamesway hut, similar to Quonset huts.



I have a fondness for old Jamesways and Quonsets because my family lived in one for several years when we first came to Alaska.



POST SCRIPT:

 I drove away with a full heart and remembrances of my many visits to Hope.   My parents loved to come here to pan for gold. 


I thought of one time when I'd stubbed my little toe and was sure it was broken.   It hurt a lot.   Sitting in the back seat, I rolled down the window and stuck my foot out.   The cold air felt good and my toe didn't hurt as much.


 I sometimes bring visitors here to eat at the Seaview.   


And, Hope is one end of the Resurrection Pass Trail, which I've hiked and snowmobiled and run my dog team along.









5 comments:

  1. Your advice to me : Go out. Take photos. Publish them. A great and very interesting Post Gullible because you just did that. Hope, a Busted Small Town in Alaska. Some real history. If our memory serves us correct, it was out there someplace on the road out there that, while gathering roadside litter and debris, you took a nasty fall down one of the roadside slopes trying to retrieve (was it) an old stove. Keep on with the keeping on Gullible. How very nice of the man to stop you and to extend his thanks. There ARE some good people in this world. YOU included. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dum dee Dum Dum. I missed something. Hope is not "Busted" (well in a way it IS "Busted") it was you Gullible that thought you were going to be "Busted" for taking photos or generally "snooping" around Hope taking photos. What a great story. This correction is thanks 100% to Patti. Cap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I was busted as in "caught" snapping, peeking, prowling. And "Small Town Alaska" could be any small community on the state where the locals are friendly but watch out for each other. I'm sure the Hope residents are used to that in the summer months, but perhaps not in winter.

      Delete
  3. Gullible I thoroughly enjoyed these photos of the old and historical buildings in Hope. It's also nice to be acknowledged for the adopt-A-road work you do too. Gord from Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Good. I do not participate in the Adopt a Road program because I didn't want to be involved in the bureaucratic regulations it requires. Instead, I take on 40 miles of highway that passes through the Chugach National Forest. It used to be 50 miles, but I now have a helper who does the steeper parts--the shoulders that drop off the side of the roadway, and some of the pullouts that also have steep slopes.

      Delete