"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Monday, June 26, 2017

Totally Gobsmacked; Hopelessly Enchanted

I did nothing to entice this tiny red-breasted nuthatch to land on my hand and take a peanut.   Nothing.

It was entirely the bird's decision and it was not accidental.   I first noticed the nuthatch coming quite close to me a couple weeks ago when I was hand-feeding a Steller's jay and the jay left.

Then, I found when I stepped onto the deck,  the nuthatch would suddenly flutter in front of me.   It was too quick for me to reach out with my hand.

Then one day, I had peanuts in my hand and it landed, selected a nut half, gave me a look, and flew away.   This has happened at least a dozen times since.

I will be on the deck, turn around, and the nuthatch will be a couple feet from me, waiting for its treat.










With a peanut in its beak.


I encourage you to go to this site and read about their remarkable behavior:

http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/bird/red-breasted_nuthatch


In the meantime, know that a tiny nuthatch MAKES MY DAY!

2 comments:

  1. The "Bird Lady" of Moose Pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete