"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Friday, August 19, 2022

Fur and Feathers 2022


Part of my recent trip to photograph the Coastal Brown bears of Southcentral Alaska included a boat trip to a small island where horned puffins are nesting. These birds spend most of the year feeding at sea and return to shore only to nest.

They nest in rocky cliffs, preferably where they can dig a deep burrow to keep their eggs and hatchlings safe from gulls and other predators.


 

The utterly amazing bill on. horned puffin.


Of course I intended to land like this.   Why do you ask?

Catching puffins in flight is very difficult to do as they as so fast.





The Lookout




Bonzai!





Almost, almost, almost....



Like most waterfowl, puffins run on the surface of the water for take off.





Hmph!   I don't what he sees in that horned puffin.   I certainly have better hair than she does and my outfit is classier.   Besides, the little hussy uses too much lipstick on her bill.   (Two tufted puffins and one horned puffin.)


No, I don't watch a copy of The Watchtower.   I can't read!





1 comment:

  1. What a great post about these incredible birds Gullible. Horned Puffins. Who come in only to nest while spending most of the year feeding at sea. And this being a part and parcel of your trip to see the Coastal Brown bears. Smiles and Hugs .. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete