"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Excuses Galore

 What can I say that would excuse my absence here?   Only this:   it's summer.

Like the little tree swallows below, we Alaskans cram a lot of living into a short period of time.  The swallows arrive, build nests, incubate and hatch their young, feed them non-stop unless the little ones fledge and then they're gone, leaving us to deal with the abundance of mosquitos they leave behind.


A wee tree swallow waits for food to appear..





Alaskans are much the same--cramming a lot of living into a few short months before the arrival of yet another long, cold, dark winter.   This year is worse than usual.   Some of us aren't sure if summer has yet arrived.

April, May, June and now part of July were n on-stop gloomy gray and rainy.  Cooler than normal.   We had a few nice days here and there, but for the most part summer has been a bust.

Everything is late.   The birch trees didn't fully leaf out until mid-June and that "fully leaf out" thing is the cue for everyone to start planting their gardens and hang their flower pots.  No more can we count on Memorial Day as "the day" because they've gone and messed with its date.



INCOMING! Open wide!











Even the swallows have chores to be done.   Here, an adult is removing a fecal sac from the nest.   The little hatchlings don't stick their butts out and poop.   No, their feces is encases in a mucous sac that makes it easy for the adults to remove it and drop it in my yard.






This load appears to be extra large, and contains something that looks like a mosquito wing.






Chores.   I haven't even begun the gazillion things that need to be done around here.   However, my friends Mary and Shawn decided they were going to split, haul, and stack the firewood I bought and they are almost finished.   Four cords in the woodshed and one to go.  They won't let me help, either.

The spruce bark beetles have bored through the bark of the mature white spruce, girdled them and killed them.   It breaks my heart to see so many brown trees.   They have to come down.





Looking at these photos reminds me of another horse I've been putting off for several years because I can''t figure out how to accomplish it.   All the facia board on this big house needs to be refinished.  I figured out the part about lying on the steep roof and reaching o ver and down with a stain applicator.   What I can't figure out is how to keep the stain in whatever utensil I use and not spill it.






So, here I sit like this swallow, trying to figure out how to get things done.   All the deck rails need to be pressure washed and restrained.  Deck steps need replacing.   Some siding needs to be sanded down and restained.

It never ends.   Not for me or the swallows.  

In the meantime, I drive off every day and pick up litter along the Seward Highway.   At least I can see what I've accomplished by doing that.  I've reached the far side of Turnagain Pass, which is the right place for this far into summer.

EXCEPT:   My friend Mary is dedicating one day a week to cleaning up litter , too.   She can walk farther and carry more weight in the litter bag than I can.  She's doing miles 48 through 56.5.  Thagt's the only reason I'm on schedule time-wise.   We couldn't even start until the first of May because the snow and ice lasted so long.

Oh, well.   The wildflowers  in Turnagain Pass are magnificent this year and are making "spectacles" of themselves.




6 comments:

  1. How fun is this Gullible ! Along with many others, we have eagerly been waiting for a new Post and, as usual, it is interesting as are your photos of the handsome and pretty blue Tree Swallows ! Need we say this : We are thrilled and relieved that you have not had (or written about if you have) any serious falls or getting stuck in a mud bog! Nice to read that your friend Mary is joining you one day a week to assist you in your cleaning up litter efforts. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no trouble recently but I'm still trying. (Smile)

      Delete
  2. The picture of the young tree swallow with his mouth wide open, waiting for what Mom is bringing him, is priceless. You photographers really catch the most amazing photos through your patience and perseverance! And, a BIG THANK YOU to Mary and Shawn for helping our friend Gullible by your amazing gift of splitting, hauling and stacking her firewood!! Also nice that Mary is helping one day a week with the litter pickin', It's always nice to have a buddy along when doing some of the things we do. Yes, summer has been late arriving, if we can call this having arrived, but .. we are enjoying stepping out the door and breathing in that FRESH, COOL air that has repeatedly been washed by the rain. Now, some sunny days would be nice. Good to have you back online with a post Gullible. We wait patiently, then jump with joy when we see a new post!! Hugs. Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti., But Mary does her area and I do mine,. We aren't working together so I'm free to get into all the trouble I can find.

      Delete
  3. Hello Gullible, I'm a friend of Cap & Patti's from Michigan. I met them 12 years ago and I have followed Cap's blogs ever since. He introduced me to you and you blogs some time ago and have enjoyed your Africa travels as well as your activities in Alaska. Today you mentioned work needing to be done around the house and I had to smile. I know how you feel, there always seems to be something that needs to be done as a homeowner. Every day is a gift and God willing we can get the work done in due time. I enjoy your posts and look forward to them. Best wishes, Gord from Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gordon. The not e is very appreciated and very kind of you.

      Delete