"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Weird Things that Happen to Me, Ch. 8235

As you know, if you've picked up on the hints in this blog, I pick up litter along the Seward and Sterling highways in Alaska. 

 That's up to 40 miles on the Seward, and four miles on the Sterling. I walk every foot of it as early in the spring as I can and sometimes I do it twice, filling more than 300 bags every year. Sometimes the bags aren't full. Sometimes they get too heavy for me to carry; sometimes I leave them with a large item that won't fit ion the bag, such as tires, lumber, mud flaps off semis, etc. 

I seem to be obsessed with it and I love the way the highways looking when they are nice and clean.

Today, it was raining.   I was going to stay home but around 2:30, I felt compelled to go clean up litter along the Sterling highway not far from my home.   I do only the first four miles and others take care of it from there.



Prickly roses at Tern Lake



So, in the light rain, off I went, knowing full well I was going to get wet.   It was sprinkling lightly, but the encroaching clouds were ominous.

I had left off Friday at Mile 40 so I went a quarter mile beyond that and parked.   Then, litter bag and grab stick in hand, I started back to the mile post.

Upon reaching it, I crossed the highway and began the route back toward the Mile 41 post and the end of my jaunt.   I didn't reach it.

Instead, shortly after I crossed the highway, and was walking behind a guard rail, I spotted something rectangular in the traffic lane next to me.   I stepped over the rail and picked up a very expensive iPhone!

On its front was a message:




I continued on until I was opposite where I'd parked my truck, where I crossed back over four lanes of highway and got into my truck.   Then, I examined the phone, trying to figure out a way to find the owner's name. 

I had no luck.   By this time, it was pouring down rain so I drove a few miles to where we haul our household trash, where I loaded my personal garbage into the Dumpsters.   We don't have garbage service where I live and have to handle it ourselves.

It was still raining hard so I went home and began a lengthy, and frustrating, attempt to locate the owner.   

I posted messages on several Facebook pages, and got loads of advice from friends.   I attempted to find the owner through the carrier--Verizon.   Blah.   Waste of time.

I tried contacting the Verizon shops in Anchorage.   To even send a message about finding the phone, I needed to sign into an account (which, of course, I don't have) or enter the cell phone's number (which, of course, I don't have).

As I was fooling around with the phone, following some Internet advice, a message popped up.   It was from the owner, trying to locate the phone.

We connected.   And 2-1/2 hours after it was lost, the owner knows where the phone is and will pick it up tomorrow.

SO:   

Why would I feel compelled to clean up litter on a day I knew was raining?

Why would I go to the exact spot where the phone was lost?

Why would I find it shortly after it landed on the pavement on a very busy traffic day?

I always feel weird when these things happen to me.

As Cap, a friend of mine, frequently says, "To feel good, do good."

Yep, I do.


I LOVE it when weird stuff happens.

A Steller's jay fledgling begging an adult for food.


7 comments:

  1. You always go above and beyond. I found a phone last winter while I was plowing snow. I happened to see something black in the snow pile I had pushed up. It was someone's phone. They called about an hour later and I answered. They were happy to get it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very happy young lady was reunited with her new phone this evening.

      Delete
  2. Wow Gullible! Another "Go Figure" happening! Weird Stuff? Who knows. Something IS happening here! Out in the rain, you went to the exact spot where the iPhone was, in the traffic lane and seconds later the iPhone would have been smashed to smithereens, etc! Boy do I know the frustration trying to unite a lost iPhone with it's owner. I assume the text from the owner looking for the phone appeared on the face of the iPhone with details (name, phone number, etc) or how did you manage to connect with its owner. I'd be interested. Wow! To Feel Good? Do Good! Your Allies .. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close, but to banana. While I had the phone in my hand and following inline instructions on how to find the owner, the owner's husband called the phone, hoping its ringing would help them locate it. I answer the call and they came to get the phone the next afternoon. Texting is soooo over-rated. ;.)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting us know how it played out! Happy you could answer the iPHONE! Sometimes we can't answer our own phones when we get an incoming Call. Cap and Patti

      Delete
    3. My cell was ringing the other day and I forgot how to answer it!!!

      Delete
  3. We KNOW how to answer our phones, swipe up on the face. BUT sometimes, far too often, successfully accomplishing this simple, mundane, very easy task fails to answer an incoming call and THAT is very VERY frustrating especially when it is incoming from the Mayo Clinic and we WANT to speak with them! Smiling .. Cap and Patti with me

    ReplyDelete