"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Dinner al fresco

You think preparing your Christmas dinner was fraught with fuss and flurry, work and worry?


Think again:



This bald eagle sat patiently beside a hole in the ice, hoping something to eat would appear. Chinook winds blasted him with rain and melting ice water, but he sat there unmoving at 3 p.m. Christmas afternoon. Didn't even have a football game to watch.



This is his dining room. The marshes at Portage.

Now, do you appreciate yours a little more? Well, okay, the eagle didn't have to wash the dishes afterwards, but was there even an afterwards for him?

3 comments:

  1. Lon, Jared and I had a lovely, non-stressful dinner on Christmas Day. We dined on a spiral-sliced yummy ham purchased at Cracker Barrel, a green-bean casserole, cheesy potatoes, a fruit salad and apple pie a la mode for dessert.

    With just the three of us it was cozy and enjoyable.

    Gosh, now I even feel worse about the bald eagle's uncertain and miserable quest for food. And yet, I suspect he's been there and done that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Christmas dinner was a grilled cheese sandwich. We were suppose to be in Kansas with my mom but the first blizzard since who knows hit Okieland and I'm still stuck in my drive. It may melt by august. I don't know how you handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos and a great perspective--something to think about. We had some coyotes around here, looking for a snack. All dogs and cats still accounted for, and enjoying their (indoor) Christmas leftovers!

    Cheers from southern New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete