"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Monday, January 31, 2011

Is It Just Me? Or...

Seriously. Am I the only one who feels it's more than a little eerie to click on my PC and a minute later there's a whole new book on my Kindle?


Here I am in a narrow valley in Alaska, surrounded by mountains, and really, really lucky that my satellite dish can "see" over the mountain ridge to the east so I can get television.

And until recently, cell phone service depended on which carrier your contract in perpetuity was with.

And your DSL service was only slightly faster than evolution.

And there isn't even a name for where you live, so you're grouped in with everybody from Mile 18 to Mile 50 of the Seward Highway.

And not so long ago I didn't even have a street address so UPS or FedEx could find me, and then the Borough had to change my address because the street they said I lived on didn't exist in the real, dirt and gravel world.

And yet Amazon's Whispernet finds this little quarter-inch thick gadget on my desk, slightly bigger than an over-sized paperback book, and by some kind of magic a whole book appears on it in less time than it takes to make a gigantic mug of fat-free, sugar-free Good Earth cocoa chai tea.

Seriously. If Amazon can do all that, what is the gov'mint doing?

Is not that a wee bit spooky?

2 comments:

  1. I love my Kindle. As for the gov'mint, Big Bro is watching. :>o

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're able to get books so easily. We have much to be thankful for these days, don't we!

    And yet, there are still plenty of things we don't like and don't understand, for sure, especially when it comes to the gov'mint.

    ReplyDelete