"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Friday, March 22, 2024

A First Recording Sighting on the Kenai Peninsula and We Risked our Health and Safety Searching for It!

I was so deep into my reclusive winter hibernation that I almost declined when my birding pal Leilani Devries called to suggest we make a trip to Homer to find the first recorded sighting of an Evening Grosbeak on the Kenai Peninsula. I didn't even set aside the winter doldrums, but packed them up in the small container with my travel laptop and assorted paraphernalia required to go on a photo trip.

(You have to read this story to appreciate the photo I'm posting with it.)

It was only by the graciousness of others that we were given permission to seek out the bird on private property. First, we drove a long way to the end of a particular road and parked at the top of a long, semi-icy driveway because there wasn't room to turn around at the bottom, we were told.

Pine Siskin



Once at the cabin where the evening grosbeak was said to be visiting the bird feeder, we had to negotiate a treacherous trail around to the far side of the house. Treacherous for two seniors on a trail packed only by a dog! Leilani fell knee-deep into snow and I had to help her get out.

We chose a spot where the light was best and waited. Very soon the birds returned to the feeder--chickadees, siskin, pine grosbeaks, crossbills, redpolls, and a Downy woodpecker.





Then we spotted it --the bright yellow and black of an evening grosbeak. I aimed my heavy camera and lens, all while trying not to fall into the dog house that was a couple feet downhill and under the house. There would be no escaping that trap.





I got a bunch of shots, but almost all of them have the bird facing me and its large pink bill is most prominent.

Here, however, is one that's okay. After all, it's the first one seen on the peninsula.

Evening Grosbeak

And then it was negotiating the dog trail back to semi-solid ground and the long 1/3rd of a mile hike back uphill, all while lugging heavy cameras and lenses!

Common Redpoll



The range of the Evening Grosbeak.   Cornell Labs diagram
image of range map for Evening GrosbeakTo be continued.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah! Yes! Amazing! Great Guns Gullible! What an adventure! A "First Sighting". We are so proud of you Gullible. High Drama .. Then we spotted it --the bright yellow and black of an evening grosbeak. I aimed my heavy camera and lens, all while trying not to fall into the dog house that was a couple feet downhill and under the house. There would be no escaping that trap. .. Whoopie Gullible. Cap and Patti..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite the adventure! Sure grateful you got me out of that knee deep snow! Leilani

    ReplyDelete