"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Friday, March 1, 2024

The 2023 Brazil Journals, Chapter Thirty-Six


(To view photos at their best, click on one and scroll through the film strip that opens.)



Chapter Thirty-Six

Getting around Customer No-Service

 

 

An employee’s obligation is to follow the rules;

A manager’s job is to consider the situation.

—A Gullible Original

 

 

 

I kept my foot on the gas for a long, long time on a chilly day in Anchorage, hoping the truck’s battery was charging.

 

Carefully, I put the truck in gear and headed a mile down the road to Costco.   I parked and turned off the ignition, fingers crossed.

 

Nope.   Not gonna start.   Instead of the main store, I went to the tire shop where Costco stocks batteries.






Chestnut-eared aracari







I was tired.  I wanted to get my grocery shopping over with and head south a hundred miles to home.   I wanted to take some cold medicine and sleep all night.

 

That would be delayed.






 

I waited for the next employee to be free and explained my situation:   I need a new battery;  I have no tools; I cannot lift the battery high enough to clear the truck fenders without a ladder.

 

She kindly explained that they would be happy to sell me a new battery once I brought in the old one as a core.   And, she said, that would make sure they got the right new battery.

 

Once again:   I have no tools and I can’t lift the battery high enough to clear the fenders.

 

We can’t loan you tools, she added.   We went over the above several times.   She was following Costco policy and I understood that and why it was.




One of six giant anteaters we saw.









 

I’ll make this short.   I asked to see the manager.   She went into the shop and returned with a handful of tools.  

 

I tried all of them and none worked, so I headed back past the shop to the sales office.


Black-capped Donocobious



Giant river otters.





 

On a hunch, I walked into the shop and asked for the manager.  I explained my problem.

 

“No problem,” he said.   And gathering some tools, we went to the truck.  “I can’t do this for you,” he explained, “but I can instruct you.”

 

He gave me the proper tool to loosen the hold downs and undo the cables and he  lifted  the battery from the compartment.  

 

We went back to the sales office where I purchased a new battery.   I waved at the manager and together we installed the battery.

 

Then I could relax, do my shopping, and make the long drive home.


A capybara family cooling off in the mud.





 

I really, really could have done without all that, being in the chilly weather and all.   But, I was saved by a kind young man who understood that while company rules are made to limit liability,  ensure the safety of employees, and are to be followed, sometimes the situation also needs to be taken into consideration.




Macaw



 


After that, the only drama came when I was unpacking the next day.   I could not find the folding comb/brush that my friend Marg gave me after another trip.   It is perfect.


 




Finally, finally, I found it tucked away on my luggage.


Now, it was time to download all the thousands of photos and to begin writing the Brazil Journals.







Yes, this is the final chapter of my journey to Brazil and the Pantanal of Brazil.   Wonderful trip, great companions, and an excellent guide. 


Thanks for following along.

4 comments:

  1. Then, at the very VERY end of this interesting Post .. The Dagger! .. Yes, this is the final chapter of my journey to Brazil and the Pantanal of Brazil. Wonderful trip, great companions, and an excellent guide. .. How can this be Gullible? Well we sure have enjoyed this journey with you. As Bob Hope used to sing .. Thanks For The Memories ..

    I for one am amazed at how Costco handled the battery situation. But I have never purchased a battery from them. They sure do tires and they don't ask the customer to remove them! Go figure. Your Allies .. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gullible, Thank you for the postings of your trip to Brazil, I've enjoyed following along with others. Gordy (Michigan Connection)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think it was Max DePree that said a leader is one who knows when to break the rules🙂. So glad you got help.

    ReplyDelete