"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

When Does It Get Easier?

 I  borrowed the title of this post from a friend named Cap.   It's one of his favorite laments.


I bought a new home indoor/outdoor weather station after my old one displayed the exterior temperature as 47 degrees F for more than a week.   After I put new lithium batteries ($26.00 for eight!! and very hard to find) in the outdoor sensor, it locked up at 26 degrees.


Today, after stalling around for a couple weeks because of deep snow on my back deck and cold winds, I decided to install the outdoor part.   First, I had to shovel a path to one, then  I unscrewed five tiny screws in the mounting plate of the old one by hand.   It wasn't exactly easy because a few of them were covered in ice.

Once I got the screws out without stripping the heads, I installed the mountain plate for the new sensor.   With a battery-powered Makita driver.

Then came the indoor monitor/readout display.


May be an image of digital watch and text

Simple, right?


Nope, not at all.   The booklet that came with the weather station is 52 pages long, of which 20 are dedicated to installation and the balance to programming the monitor!!!


Plus there's a separate 24 page booklet of instructions for setting up the WI-FI  so the monitor can tell my phone what's going on weather-wise.

I DO NOT NEED OR WANT THAT!


All I want is the outdoor temperature, the date, and the time.   I got the outdoor temperature as soon as the sensor cooled to the correct one.


Setting the date and time???    Not one of the buttons I push to try to do that act like they are supposed to,


So, to quote Cap, again, "When does it get easier?"

2 comments:

  1. Too funny Gullible. Here IS your answer to our question "When does i get easier?" .. NEVER EVER! I so relate to (with me it is electronic clocks) 52 pages of instructions when, in your case ..All I want is the outdoor temperature, the date, and the time. In my case all I want to know is how to change the time from, or back to, Daylight Savings Time. So twice a year (Spring ahead and Fall back) I have to re-learn what I managed to do 6 months or so before. For the life of me I can't remember how I actually did this last time .. Smiles. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a hoot, Oscar! I look out the window. If it's wet, it's raining and above 32 degrees. If it's white, it is snowing and below freezing. If the wind chimes are tinkling, there's a breeze, if they're clanging, its windy. If the sun is shining, it's between -6 and 107 (our temperature range here) depending on the season, which, fortunately, I can still keep track of. No installation, no batteries, no programming, no frustration! Easier! you have to make it easier. Cheers! Clyde

    ReplyDelete