"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Perseverance

(NOTE: Part Two of The Famous Poet and Me is in the works, but first: a photo lesson in perseverance.)

A bunch of us writers and bloggers hang out at a blog called Ann Linquist Writes. There's a link to it over there under "visit my friends." She is a writing instructor and we are/were her students. Every so often she throws us a writing prompt. We hungry writers pounce on it, haul it off to our secret writing places, and gnaw on it for a while. Then, we proudly present our finished product to the others.

Sometimes it gets fairly chaotic over there, as you can imagine.

What you are going to see below is my response to her prompt "Perseverance." We can't post photos at her site, so I'm sending them over here to check it out.

Fair warning:

You are going to see an insect. Cool it. It's only an ant. It's only real life. No screaming allowed, or, if you must, please hold a pillow over your face.



This ant appeared on the indoor-outdoor carpet that's on my back deck. It is carrying a dead gnat. Good for him. I hate those things. They bite.

The ant tried many, many times to climb up on the water hose. I have no idea why. Maybe it thought the grass carpet was greener on the other side. Maybe it thought it would be smoother going on the hose than on those fibers of the phony grass carpet. Who knows what ants think? All they do is work, work, work.


Perseverance.

(And now that I've gotten that out of the way, back to writing Part Two of The Famous Poet and Me.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm still chuckling over your description of the ant perhaps attempting to get to greener pastures on the other side of the hose.

    Actually, you lifted my spirits this morning with every word of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Datgum it. I can't wipe the grin off my face. Patients in the waiting room are looking at me suspiciously but I can't come down from the high I'm on after reading your cute and clever words.

    :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete