"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Busy Days

 These are busy times for me.    I've cleaned litter from roughly 25 miles of highway and spent a lot of time at Tern Lake observing the birds.

I'm getting ready to go on my annual birding trip to the Denali Highway.

In the meantime, here's what's happening at Tern Lake.



 

Grebe chicks immediately climb on an adult's back as soon as they hatch.  That is where they will stay for several days.

Each pair of grebes has hatched at least one chick and are still sitting on unhatched eggs.  This grebe just rearranged the eggs.....




..and on her back, a chick wonders what all the movement is about.




It isn't all about birds, though.   This evening a muskrat swam by with a big salad for the family.




2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, we got to visit Tern Lake residents with you once again! Nice to see the Greebe chick and the busy muskrat. And, we are always so grateful for all the work you do picking up litter along our highways to keep Alaska beautiful. Thank you! Have a great birding trip on the Denali Highway. Smiles, Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing the first photo, just amazing your photographic abilities. Also your knowledge of the birds too is amazing. Great Post. Have a great birding trip Gullible.. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete