"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Friday, August 26, 2022

Fur and Feathers 2022. Chapter 3

The light was poor one day when we went out to photograph the Coastal Brown bears digging for razor clams on the beach.   It was just enough to create glare on the skim of water still running off the sand.


  • That glare, however, made for reflections and an almost pure white background, especially because I had my exposure compensation cranked way open in an effort to get enough light onto the camera's sensor.   From there, it took only a little tinkering in post-processing to create the images below.







 






In photography, this is called high key.   There is also the opposite, or low-key photography, in which dark tones are brought out to emphasize a subject or to create a silhouette or rim-lit effect.   In both of the below photos I darkened the background and brought out the puffins.











7 comments:

  1. These photos are so beautiful! I love bears and puffins and am so glad you share your experiences so I can enjoy them too! Can I print these and use them for note cards?
    cheers n love...Clyde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you may. I would be honored.

      Delete
  2. Gosh Gullible, these appear to be professional photos. Your photography skills have put you in the position of sharing photos with us that could be highly desired by the public. THANK YOU for sharing them with us!!! Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. You have become a very accomplished photographer and writer. These photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Bud. Learning comes slowly at my age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My third try on different days to post a comment here Jeanne. Amazing the dark backlighting effect you achieved with the Puffin. Also the effect with the bears is great. Amazing. Much Joy .. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete