"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Saturday, December 17, 2022

The 2022 Africa Journals, Chapter 7, Part 2 of the Drought

 Chapter 7,  Part Two

The Drought


"No one in the world needs an elephant tusk but an elephant."– Thomas Schmidt


My spirits are down after seeing the effects of years of drought in the area of Amboseli Nation Park in southern Kenya.  I suspect, and it is later confirmed, that many of my fellow travelers were feeling the same.

So, upon setting out on the evening game drive, I try to turn off my feelings and let come what might.   Because these late game drives are only about two hours long, we head to the waterhole by the Kenya Wildlife Service rangers's station.

The ranger station with Mt. Kilimanjaro in the background.


Before we get there, we see some elephants on the opposite side of the road and stop to watch.  There is a particularly large elephant far back by the trees, so far back that I have to use my 500mm lens to watch him.






THIS IS CRAIG!   This is the elephant we came to Amboseli National Park to see and photograph.

Craig was born in 1972 so he is now 50 years old and nearing the end of his life span.   He carries the genes of elephant "super tuskers" and it is thought that there are only 20 of these huge elephants alive.   Craig's tusks are estimated to weigh more than 100 lbs. each!




We park on the side of the road and driver James lets our other two trucks know that he has found Craig.

I am standing on the seat of the Land Cruiser with my shoes off and it is not a comfortable position for someone so short.  Balance is a concern.   I am able to rest my heavy camera and lens on the roof, but I have to adjust it to shoot.




I am thrilled.   What a sighting!  As I watch through the viewfinder, waiting for Craig to lift his head and tusks out of the brush, turn to face me, and (hopefully) spread his ears, something black flashes past my lens.   It was much too big to be a bird flying past.

WHAT THE HECK?  Craig is still in the same position, so I take my eye away from the viewfinder and spot a male ostrich nearby.




I laugh, thinking about an MVP, VIP, Star of the Show, The One and Only Craig being photo-bombed by an ostrich!   How dare he?


I continue to watch Craig and before long, here comes the ostrich again.





Are you kidding me?    This is not normal ostrich behavior.   Get outta the way.   Craig might turn at any moment.

For his part, Craig doesn't care a whit and goes on munching.   The ostrich, however, seems as fascinated with us as we are with Craig.   It lingers.   And lingers.   And finally moves off-screen.






 Craig continues to feed.   At one point he seems ready to turn and face us.   I can see the length of his tusks.   I hold my breath.




Movement in the brush to the right catches me eye.   A giraffe?    A giraffe is now photo-bombing Craig!





Oh, for Pete's sake.    Hang on, Craig.   Don't let them scare you away.








The giraffe exits  stage left


WHAT THE HECK?    Looks who's coming back!





The stupid ostrich just stands there FOREVER!




Fortunately, Craig is busy uprooting a small acacia bush.   


My Craig Watch continues.


And the giraffe reappears!!!   Or another giraffe!   What the heck?   Are they hanging on Craig's star-power?   Hoping to be featured in a wildlife film?

My camera settings are for a short depth of field, hoping to blur the busy background behind Craig so that he stands out from it.   And, I am not focused on an ostrich, so he's a bit blurry.   Serves it right.










It is hard to see in this picture, but there is an impala stag right below Craig's trunk.  Another photo-bomber!








Craig seems to be taking a nap and the ostrich doesn't move!  The impala is still there, too.   

I am getting worried now.   I can see the golden rays of a setting sun on Craig's rump.   Time is of the essence if I hope to get Craig facing me with his ears out!

Confangled ostrich!


FINALLY!   The coast....   I mean Craig, is clear.   

Craig, however,  continues his nap.   Or maybe he's still chewing that acacia.





C'mon, Craig.   Just look this way once.   Please?    Pretty please with tender acacia on top?


I continue to watch and....    NOW WHAT???





Wildebeest?   Cape buffalo?    Heck, no!   Craig is now being photo-bombed by CATTLE!!!


A whole herd of cattle.




A herd of cattle  tended by a Maasai pastoralist!





Who also stops to stare at us.

 




And who leaves Craig in a cloud of dust.






Well, at least the stupid ostrich left when the herder showed up.





Or did it?





By now, it's quite late and Craig is turning and I can see almost all of his super tusks.






THERE!!!   Better late than never.







In the richness of late light, Craig ambles off into the sunset.




Stay well, Craig.   Be safe.






NOTE:   Craig is guarded 24 hours a day by Maasai Warriors to protect him from poaching. They also try to turn him away from crops where villagers might harm him.  They don't always succeed and Craig has been treated by vets for numerous spear wounds.

7 comments:

  1. What a GREAT visit with Craig .. and his miriad of compadres who seemed to want to be part of the photo op. Superb patience on your part and well worth it in the end! Enjoyed the show. Some impressive tusks!! Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thanks for commenting, Hugs

      Delete
  2. Laugh-out-loud funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nerve-wracking experience! But in the end, a fun story and super shots of Craig and his friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make it feel like I’m right there with you!! Adele

    ReplyDelete