"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

The 2023 Brazil Journals, Chapter Thirty-0ne



 

Chapter Thirty-One

Side Effects


 

 

“You have to taste a culture to understand it.”

—Deborah Cater

 

 

 

If you’ve been served a meal on an airliner, then you’ll understand what I’m talking about.  You are handed a teensy tray with all the food items placed just so and everything fits nicely.

 

Fits, that is, until you begin unwrapping and taking the lids off the individual servings.   Then there is no place on the postage stamp-sized tray to put all that debris.

 

So when I was on the long flight from Dallas-Fort Worth to Sáo Paulo, Brazil, I found myself with a serving of white rice in my left hand and another of cooked brown beans in my right hand.   There was only one empty spot on the tray.


Araras Eco Lodge


 

“Necessity is the mother of invention,” it’s said and in a moment of sheer genius, I dump the beans on top of the rice.   It's a good combination.

 

After a few days in Brazil, I discover I wasn’t such a smarty because rice with beans in a delicious, thick, soupy broth is a staple in the Brazilian diet.   Every lunch and dinner buffet always has a large container of rice and a large container of beans.

 

I indulged.   Frequently.



UFO



 

Well, you know what happens when you eat beans.   Eventually, they make their presence known in the form of gas, which is expelled from the body. 


That’s understandable, but does it have to trumpet its escape into the air so everyone knows you’ve been eating beans?





Our table in the lodge


 

I discovered that when I picked up my eight-pound camera/lens combination, I have to clench almost every muscle in my body to hold it up and focus without shaking.   Clenching those abdominal muscles results in that certain inevitable side effect.


I often found myself apologizing, excusing myself, or just ignoring it and hoping they think someone else did it.

 

I stopped eating rice and beans for a while but at Araras Eco Lodge, our last lodge on this trip, I had a very small serving.





 

***

 

 

Shelly comes to get me the next day and says she’s found an orange-backed troupial, a particularly colorful bird that I’d been hoping to see.   It isn’t far away and we maneuver under a large tree to catch the bird in an open spot through the leaves and branches.  Shelly is standing behind and off to one side of me.

 

I lift that heavy camera almost straight up and clench.




Juvenile wattled jacana


 

The bean gas emits a loooooong, high-pitched escaping squeal and Shelly starts laughing.   So do I.   Getting an in-focus shot under these circumstances is a miracle, but I get the shot.



Orange-backed troupial



 

We go back to our rooms and later I send Shelly a message:  

 

“I am thinking about changing the name of my blog to “The Phlatulent Photographer.”

 

 

Capybara, the rodents everybody loves.
 

 

8 comments:

  1. OMG Jeannie - I hadn’t told anyone about the Phlatulent Photographer. I currently have tears of laughter streaming down my face as I remember that moment. Your photo of the bird is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That. you, Anonymous, It was an opportunity too good to pass up. PS: I know who you are, Anonymous. Also the previous chapter mentioned you but I didn't tag you.

      Delete
    2. That was supposed to be "thank you." I am using two computers right now and the keyboards are different sizes, so typing is a challenge.

      Delete
  2. Rice, Beans and Age - made me laugh, I know how you feel. Gord from Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too, too funny Gullible. Bean beans magical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot, the more you toot the better you feel, so eat beans sweet beans for every meal. Again too funny. Cap and Patti

      Delete
  3. This chapter was a real gasser (lol). I hate snakes, too, especially sneaky snakes. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cap and Patti stole my poem. I, too, love beans of all kinds, with or without rice. I have recently discovered that garbanzo beans cause excessive flatulence for me. Oh, well. The cats don't mind. I am very impressed with the shot, given you were both laughing.

    ReplyDelete