"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Those Back-to-School Assignments

Remember when you were a kid and returned to school in the fall and the teacher told you to write an essay on what you did that summer?   So, you took your pencil, or pen if you were in the upper grades, and sat there chewing on the pencil, turning it over through your fingers, or trying not to bite the eraser.

 

You were wondering what you HAD dome that summer and thinking, “Did I really waste the whole summer doing nothing that I can remember?”

 

It is now the final days of September and I DO remember what I did this past summer because I just recently finished the chores.

 

MAY:   picked up litter over 17 miles of the Seward highway.   I would have kept going, but I was expecting friends from Canada and we, along with another friend, were going to fly to Nome on June 2 to photograph migrating birds and the local musk ox.   That meant I had to spend the last week cleaning house and getting my gear together.



The Arctic terns have returned to Alaska.


Getting the downed dead trees out of the forest.





A small part of litter I picked up.


 

A red breasted merganser on the stump.



It's spring.   Pussy willows are blooming.



Silhouette of an Arctic Tern that has returned to Tern Lake from Antarctica.








Cleaned up pieces of debris here.



Yellow-rumped warbler, a migrating bird.










Marg, Shelly and I visit the most famous red-necked loon in Alaska.   His name is either Romeo for Ivan the Impaler, depending on your experience with him.   He spends his days braying at floatplanes and terrorizing photographers.







JUNE:   Five days in Nome, a place I’d never been.  Driving up and down the only three roads out of town, as well as the town cemetery.

 











Wilson's Snipe







Long-tailed jaeger on the tundra.






Train to Nowhere



SCORE!!!    A Bluethroat, one of the main reasons I went to Nome.
                                    A lifer for me--first time I"ve seen one.





Pipit.   A lifer for me.



Rock Ptarmigan.   Another lifer.


White-crowned sparrow.









Long-tailed Jaeger




Musk ox






Another Bluethroat



American Golden Plover, a special lifer.





Lapland longspur male, a lifer.




Lapland longspur








There was a bit of snow in Nome.



Golden plover, a lifer










Wilson's Snipe







Godwit, a lifer



Safety Roadhouse, the last checkpoint on the Indiarof Trail race, 22 miles from Nome.







Marge, Shelly and I had a couple days to play tourist before they flew back to Canada.





Marg, Shelly and I on a day cruise out of Seward.



Sea otters in Resurrection Bay



Sea lions in Resurrection Bay




         Then, back from Nome, I had to get ready for my two cousins to arrive  from Montana and Wyoming.   


I had three sets of exterior stairs that were rotten and needed replacing.


The lumber is waiting.
















Now the fun is over for the duration and the works begins. After recess, we'll revisit June.


The foxglove in blooming.


4 comments:

  1. Gullible we don't know who "coined" the term Holy Schmoly but it sure applies to this Post. Holy Schmoly! Gads Zooks! Amazing! Wonderful! What did we do yesterday? We will be happy with knowing that, Gullible, let alone what did we do all summer! From A to Z with 42 photos to document some of it and other just plain nice photos of Birds. And the sea otters and sea lions photos too! In 1998 I worked the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in Nome. Spent several weeks there as I recall. You cleared litter for 17 miles on the Seward Highway in May. Patti and I saw a flock of Arctic Terns in Irkutsk, Russian Siberia back in 2019. Well here is your "Holy Schmoly" comment Gullible. Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just you wait. I had to divide June into two parts. Coming soon to a Blogger site near you.

      Delete
  2. You are one energetic woman that puts a lot of younger people to shame. You had one very busy May and accomplished many things that most people only dream of. What a great life you live.

    ReplyDelete