By my calculations, I successfully completed a resolution I made at the beginning of summer, which is a much better track record than any New Year's Resolution I ever made or even thought about making.
My spring resolution was to try to replace the three-and-a-half cords of firewood that I burned last winter, and that would keep me even because someday I will not be able to gather firewood on my own.
I considered various ways to do that, including buying wood. However, two things stopped me from doing that:
1. The whole idea of burning wood is to save on the high costs of propane that heats my house, and
2. There is a wealth of beetle-killed spruce here, including some in my own yard.
So, I decided to do it on my own, as much as I could.
One thing that was an obstacle was that I no longer have the arm strength to pull the recoil starter rope and successfully start my gas-powered wood splitter. The solution was to purchase an electric splitter.
I'd already made an age-related adaptation last year when I realized I could no longer start my newish Stihl chainsaw. The solution was a battery-powered chainsaw and, as luck would have it, they were on sale in Anchorage. I also wanted a second battery and a spare chain, but discovered it was cheaper to buy two on-sale saws than buying those two items separately. I came home with two saws, two batteries, and two chains.
I bought a 5-ton electric splitter with a stand in Anchorage, and when my brother came to visit, we put it together. He is better at following orders (a long career in the Army), while I am better at improvising and turn to the instructions only in emergencies.
He studied the instructions and measured the bolts; I started sticking things together. Together, we succeeded in getting all the pieces together and did a trial run.
All summer, as I was out along the highway picking up litter, I looked for downed dead spruce that would easy for me to get. And I found several.
I also cut down two black spruce in my yard and hauled off the slash. When I went to dump the slash, I scrounged the piles for more wood.
I kept it up all summer. Finding, sawing, loading, unloading, spitting, and stacking in the wood shed.
![]() |
| The battery-powered saw is on the tailgate. |
Just recently, a professional logger cut down two spruce in my yard that I didn't dare to cut. One might have fallen on the well house; the other would have blocked the driveway.
![]() |
| The last of the rounds to split. First trailer load is in the woodshed. |
I hauled off three loads of slash and stacked the rounds in the carport where I could split them, rain or shine.
Today, I split the majority of the rounds and stacked the wood in the shed. I have a few more rounds left.
By my calculations, I am more or less at my goal of three-and-a-half cords.



















Hot dignity dog Gullible, so very nice to see a new Post WITH photos no less. Is that issue resolved or we will wait and see. After seeing all of your work we are ready to take a nap .
ReplyDeleteI think my blog problems have to do with the abominable internet speed here. I would switch to another provider --my landline phone company is the current one--but I don't want to lose my "arctic.net" email address and suffer through all the bother associated with changing it. During the daytime,the speed is fine. It's from late afternoon on that it is horrid. Can't even get the speed test sites to open.
DeleteObviously Gullible, your activity (litter picking, gathering logs all summer, splitting and stacking the logs, etc) is what keeps you able to keep doing all of this!! I am a year older than you and cannot fathom being able to do a fraction of what you do. I'm glad you got some new tools to help you!! Your neighbors must call you "The Wonder Woman of Moose Pass"!!! Hugs when you have a moment to stop for one!!!
ReplyDeleteIthink you're right. Use it or lose it.
DeleteGood job, Jeanne. I wish I had your energy and ambition. I do stay busy, but not as busy as you. I am still working on projects that are ongoing. Christine's house is getting near finished, my shop is near finished, our neighborhood fences by the mailboxes is almost done. I had to do some major repairs on the garage this summer before they could pour the new patio. When they ripped the old patio out I found that carpenter ants had eaten a lot of the bottom plate and lower studs of the garage. Chris and I ended up tearing the siding and sheathing off the lower foot of the back wall of the garage and replacing the bottom plate and notching out the damage to the studs and putting in a 2 X 10 along 16 feet of the wall. Also had to tear out the handicap ramp in front of the house because of concrete settling. I hope I never have to have it again because I am not replacing it. I'm just replacing the deck and stairs on the front porch.
ReplyDeleteBud, don't think I do these an activities all day long. It takes forever to get out of bed, then forever to get moving, My energy last three or four hours, maybe. But, I keep trying.
DeleteIt's about the same for me. I have to sit and rest quite often and feel like I don't accomplish much. My biggest criticizer about my work ethic is me. Everyone else says I do great for my age. I feel like I need a boot in the rear.
Delete