"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Three days

This is what three days of litter clean up looks like.    Seventeen bags, five tires, and miscellaneous other stuff. 

I covered thirty miles of the Seward Highway.   DOT is mowing the roadside vegetation which makes it easier for me to spot the litter as I slowly drive by.

The thing is, is do this every week, weather permitting.   I walk every foot of the area in the spring, then try to keep up with it all summer and fall.

 To keep from feeling like it's a lost cause, I post these photos to remind myself that there is this much litter out there.



4 comments:

  1. What you are doing with your litter patrol activities is so special. As you know some people do appreciate your efforts. You've mentioned some people honk and acknowledge you and the television interview / story about you was also so very special. I do not understand how anyone can carelessly throw litter out of their cars. Well you've also felt that the physical activity of doing it has been a benefit to you correct? AMAZING. THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORTS. Cap in Mongolia and Patti in Anchorage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say your work is worth something! That's five tires that won't be cluttering up Seward Highway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely doing your part to make Alaska more beautiful and we are grateful for every piece and chunk of litter that you pick up. It stuns me that people can discard that amount of stuff along the highway. Our Litter Lady scores again . . and again . . and again! THANK YOU!! Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your efforts are noteworthy and very much appreciated. Makes me feel guilty about only doing it "when I have the time" instead of developing a schedule. You may have motivated me to do better.

    Have we always been this irresponsible - as humans? I just don't remember seeing so much junk along the roads when I was a kid. About a hundred years ago. When did the breakdown start? Is it due to changes in family life?

    Sorry to ramble on. Thank you for a post which has slapped me in the face.

    ReplyDelete