"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Swans of Tern Lake

Last year, for the first time in a long while, a pair of Trumpeter swans took up residence at Tern Lake.   This spring, they returned.   I don't know why, but when they saw me on the edge of the lake, they swam towards me, stopping about 20 feet away.   They appeared calm and unperturbed.



This is early April and there is still some ice on the lake.





Eventually, they built a huge mound of soft moss and started their family.










I'm not sure how many cygnets hatched.   I thought it was four, but it could have been three.   When they came within camera range, there were definitely three.







A week ago, I was told there were only two left.  The lake is a hunting ground for bald eagles, owls, ravens, raptors, and magpies, all of which have their own young to feed.


Then, seeing the swans close to the road a few days ago, I stopped to see for myself.   There was only one cygnet left.









The swans swam close to me and lingered for about four or five minutes.  It looked, for all the world, as if they were showing off their cygnet.













If she were worried about me, she would be between me and the cygnet.


















I took a few family portraits, and then left left, paddling slowly away with the cygnet safely between them.





3 comments:

  1. Obviously these swans feel an ability to trust you ... a vibe I find not surprising. My heart expanded seeing these pictures. I hope this last little one survives. Thank you for making my day brighter! Hugs ... Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! THAT WAS CLOSE .. As I read this Post and got to the bottom I was hoping-against-hope that the one cygnet was still alive and with them. It is a brutal world-out-there and we hope they fly South with this one of their last offspring. Cap and Patti in Toledo Ohio

    ReplyDelete