"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Cold, Bone-Chilling Cold

It's been cold here for more than a week.   Like 20 below zero cold.

I caught a couple corvids with frosty mascara yesterday.



Steller's Jay


Black-billed magpie





The big surprise is that the downy woodpecker stopped pounding on the suet block and went right for the shelled peanuts and sunflower seeds.   It's the first time I've seen it on the deck rail.






Finally, today, the temperature went from 20 below to 20 above in 12 hours and it is a welcome relief from the cold.

2 comments:

  1. We also enjoyed the welcome warming trend that moved in yesterday, Sunday the 12th. Word here in Anchorage is that the tempertures are again going to go down. You have got to wonder at how the many outdoor birds / mammals who don't hibernate / and fish survive the cold with ice on the top surface of their lake. Smiles Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete