"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Sunday, January 28, 2024

The 2023 Brazil Journals, Chapter Twenty-Nine


Chapter Twenty-Nine

Naps and Birds

 

 Blessed are the curious,

for they shall have adventures.

--Unknown

 

 

 

It’s 4:15 and there’s no alarm sounding from the cell phone under my pillow.

 

Now, 5 A.M., time we meet for breakfast.   All is quiet.

 

Then, 5:30, time when Vanderlay backs the boat out of its slip.  My pillow remains quiet.

 

Just before 7 A.M. there’s not a peep from the pillow, but I’m awake anyway and shut the alarm off before it rings.

 

I’m not late for anything.   Today, we got to sleep in because there’s no morning game ride on the river.   At 8 o'clock-ish, we will leave for the next and last lodge of this fabulous trip.







Photo from Araras website


 

The dining room is still open for breakfast, so I’m not hungry when we check out, pay our laundry bills, and load up in our van.  One hundred and forty-seven kilometers of dirt and gravel and 122 wooden bridges on the Transpantaneira highway as it crosses the Pantanal in the state of Mato Grosso to connect Porto Jofre with Poconé.   

 

We aren’t going as far as Poconé today, however.   We’re heading to Araras Eco Lodge, our last lodge, and from where we will make the final drive to catch a plane in Poconé and fly back to Sao Paulo in three days.

 

We stop along the way for a restroom break and Magnum ice cream bars.   As for me, I am still not feeling well so I stretch out across the seats and belt buckles in the back row of the van.

 

And then, we’re there.   We register at a lovely table in the patio and get our room keys.






 



One row of rooms.   Photo from Araras website.




The rooms as basic but have every thing I need, including a frog for a roommate!!!





My room.












 A very short video!!!










Dining room and bar.




Dining room





Our table.





Octavio and his wife Larissa.    They met when Larissa worked at this lodge.   Virginia is at left.



After lunch, I wander around the property and find caimans and birds galore.

 

 







Note all the rocks beyond the dugout.   That's where the birds are that I photograph from the spot where I am standing  to take this photo..   Nice having a 500 mm long lens.   





Note the vegetation in the above photo and then the almost-covered caiman in this photo.   Sneaky little things.








Rufous cachalote




Black-tailed tityra

Yellow-billed cardinal




Rufous cachalote




No caimans in the pool.





A little later, another find.   There’s a water fountain right in front of the dining hall that attracts all kinds of birds and other critters.   I sit on a padded bench under an awning that covers the length of the building and photograph birds to my heart’s content.






Yellow-rumped cacique





Yellow-rumped cacique




A nest box for hyacinth macaws.




This is Lala, a semi-wild blue and yellow macaw.



Her favorite perch is right above the entrance to the dining room.











She does take food from your hand.   This time, it's a banana.













Octavio says there are no big tours planned for this lodge.   It’s meant to be a couple of relaxing days before we head home, and that’s fine with me.    He does take Shelly and Virginia on a walkabout, though, and tomorrow there will be a short tour of the property in a large safari vehicle.

 

In the meanwhile, it’s naps and birds for me.





A UFO




Purplish Jays





Cattle tyrant








Probably a juvenile barred woodpecker.



Barred woodpecker.




And again.




Rufous-bellied thrush-like.   Yes, that's its name.





In the heat of the afternoon, Lala takes a nap on the patio with us.



Snoozing Lala.








5 comments:

  1. They sure do have a variety of birds. It's good to see that you have a couple of relaxing days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that the caimans do not covet swimming in the pool at your new lodge! Lala seems to be very content in her spot above the entrance to the lodge, as well as taking food (the piece of banana) from your hand. Nice to have a couple of days to rest up there. Your frog roommate at least does not take up much room!! Smiles and thank you for another pleasant post.. we love them!! Patti and Cap

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pleasant and gentle Post Gullible. Whew your trip is winding down !! We loved Lala !! Cap and Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the picture of the caiman nestled in the leaves, I pictured myself walking about and having one jump out at me. How far do its jaws open? I assume far enough given the warning sign. Lala is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far enough to grab you, my dear.

      Delete