"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Don't Fence Me In*

Note to my former homeowner's insurance company: 




Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above,
Don't fence me in.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love,
Don't fence me in. 




Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze,
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees,
Send me off forever but I ask you please,
Don't fence me in. 






Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies.
On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder
Till I see the mountains rise.



I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
And I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences
Don't fence me in.



Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above,
Don't fence me in.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love,
Don't fence me in. 




Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please,
Don't fence me in 



See there, State Farm?  I TOLD you those railings would be done this spring, but would you give me six more months?  Oh, no, you wouldn't.   Now you've lost all my business.

Thanks for trusting me, Seward Insurance Company and Umailik Insurance.

So, people everywhere, when you have great views you don't want blocked by standard railings, go with stainless steel cables  for an almost invisible deck rail system.
The birds like it.



And so do I.

*  Lyrics and music by Cole Porter from a poem by Bob Fletcher.  Made famous by Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, Roy Rogers and a host of other recording artists.

3 comments:

  1. nothing like being able to sing along I as read your blog....Roy Rogers is my voice of choice. And I like your fence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's non-fence. A non-offensive fence. No line of de-fence. Non-sense fence.

    ReplyDelete