"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Monday, February 8, 2010

A Perfect Right Brain Day

Today I
let the muse run free,
wrote by the side of the highway,
in the parking lot at Costco,
in the hospital waiting room,
in my own living room.

Today I
hugged my friends from out of town,
took them to lunch at a nostalgic old bar,
told stories of yore to distract them from their worries,
and watched them remember.

Today I
wrote a note to a friend,
gave him a gift,
told him I missed him,
wished he were still alive.

Today I
waved at the Dahl sheep
on the side of the highway,
saw a hundred white swans,
laughed at a bore tide only inches high.

Today I
sang songs from “La Mancha”
all the way home,
watched “Grey’s Anatomy”
with journal in hand,
discovered the commercials
were far too short.

Today I
flew,
soared,
sailed,
imagined.

Christ, how I loved it.

(No, my muse hasn't returned. I wrote this a couple years ago. If anyone sees the AWOL dickens, please tell her she's missed greatly and needed urgently.)

1 comment:

  1. Aw, shucks. I was rejoicing in your fabulous return to joyful writing, but alas, twas in vain.

    Free writing? Might that unclog the pipes?

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete