"I'm going to speak my mind because I have nothing to lose."--S.I. Hayakawa
_______________________________________________________

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sturm und Drang in the Cove

On the wall in my favorite burger joint in Anchorage is a large poster that begins: you know you’re in trouble when….

There follows a long list of scenarios, including: ….your horn sticks when you’re following a motorcycle gang on the highway.

That would do it, all right.


Today was a misty, foggy, rainy, quiet day in the Cove, right up until the motorcycle gang roared into town. Dressed all in black they came—dozens of them—insouciant, insolent, irritating.



Upset the entire neighborhood with their raucous pipes, their murderous ways, their usurpation of our right to solitude and quiet dignity.


These hoodlums know no dignity, no territorial bounds. They are marauders through and through, their cowardice masked by strength in numbers.





Upset the entire neighborhood with their raucous pipes, their murderous ways, their usurpation of our right to solitude and quiet dignity.

These hoodlums know no dignity, no territorial bounds. They are marauders through and through, their cowardice masked by strength in numbers.

Carefully I opened the sliding glass door and stepped out onto the deck. I unholstered the camera in a quick draw and yelled:

NOT! ON! MY! WATCH!



Go ahead. Click on these photos to enlarge them. Go on. I dare you.




(Jim calls this murder of crows the motorcycle gang. It’s the only one that will ever invade the Cove, because you can’t drive to the Cove. I’ve tried several times to upload these photos so they will enlarge to full screen when you click on them. This is my last try. If they don’t enlarge, you’re missing all the crows that can be seen flying and perched in the trees and bushes.)




1 comment:

  1. You're a very brave and courageous woman to leave safety and step outside to photograph that gang on the loose. That is one very wicked looking intruder!

    My computer won't enlarge your photo either but I'm catching the drift of the evil lurking behind this creature's countenance and demeanor without making him any bigger than he already appears.

    I'm sorry your computer isn't functioning as well as you'd like where you are now. As much as you use it, I can understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete